Today’s post is all about the lovely Butterick 6318.
I finished sewing this vintage 60’s style dress last week. It has a semi-fitted bodice, dolman sleeves, and a full gathered skirt. The highlight of the dress is a front sash that crisscrosses the waist and ties in the back. It also has a back lapped zipper.
I have to admit, what really drew me to this pattern is the black and white striped version on the cover. I am a sucker for stripes, and the fact that it is black and white just kinda sold me, right there. I mean, is it referee? Prisoner? Piano keys? Beetlejuice?? All I know is that it’s so cute tho, right?
With that, I had to do some searching to find the perfect black and white striped fabric. You would think it would be easy to find that in a variety of fabric types but it actually wasn’t. The one perfectly striped fabric I managed to find came in a quilting cotton.
Now I’ve heard the debate about using quilting cotton for apparel sewing, and was quite torn about whether or not to just go ahead and take the plunge and purchase the fabric anyway. I mean, it was exactly what I was looking for as far as print went, and I HAD read lots of testimonials about other women using quilting cotton to make dresses that have turned out beautiful in the end…..
What the heck. I dived right in! I got this fabric from Etsy. So now that I had my perfectly striped black and white quilting cotton in my hands, it was time to sew!
Making this dress was fairly easy for me to put together, mainly because I practiced first with some muslin. Since this dress is sort of fit-and-flare, I wanted to check out the measurements and make sure I was sizing correctly to my body shape first.
After putting together and fitting a rough muslin on myself, I did some very minor modifications to the actual version:
- Lowered the neckline—because it was just too high for my liking. I honestly felt like it was choking me at some point!
- Shortened bottom hem—because of my usual shortness
- Neck facing is non-interfaced—because I forgot to do it. OOPS!
Nonetheless, she turned out great! 😁
This dress pattern is from the early 60’s, so there is still a little bit of poof in the skirt and fit-and-flare in the waist that you typically see in a vintage 50’s dress. I stated before that I don’t normally like to wear this silhouette often, but this one is not as tightly fitted around the waist and actually rather comfortable. I did take the neckline down a bit, but in the end it still felt just a smidge too high for my liking, but I can live with it.
My house is fairly small, so places to photograph are limited unless I want to venture outdoors. TBH, I still feel very awkward in front of a camera and don’t like to draw attention to myself any more than necessary, so the thought of taking selfies outside in public for all to see makes me feel all squirmy inside. 😖 But I thought my little kitchen made for an interesting backdrop, ya think?
Since I was working with a directional pattern, I had to be careful with pattern matching. I think I did a fairly good job keeping in line with the stripes, although on this shoulder, you can see where my sewing was a tiny fraction off, but not a huge deal to me. What I particularly liked about this pattern was that the sleeve is attached to the bodice already. No set-in sleeve to worry about! It’s cool too how when you sew up the sleeves, the stripes form a little bit of a chevron pattern. It’s the little things!
I really liked making this dress! Being able to find original dress patterns and getting the opportunity to recreate vintage fashion is such a high for me! I would definitely recommend giving the Butterick 6318 a try when you get the chance! 😊